9.29.2010

Breakfast

This boy loves breakfast! He usually eats two servings of whatever we are having. His preference is cereal (Honey-Nut Cheerios or Wheaties) or Pancakes. When he gets done with his pancakes he is quick to see if his sisters have finished theirs.


I've always wanted to make wholesome pancakes for my kids, but it has taken me a while to find the perfect recipe. The Spiers family can't make the blender whole wheat pancakes because 1) I can't make them taste good and 2) We can't have the blender going for 5 minutes early in the morning - it's just too much even for those of us who are morning people. Luckily I have found the perfect recipe for us. It is good for my kids - or at least better than the Aunt Jemima just add water + it is easy. I make this mix up:
*Makes 10 cups of dry mix

3 1/2 cups rolled (quick) oats
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil

Add the oil to the dry ingredients. It seems strange, but it will make a sort of crumbly mixture. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks at room temperature or indefinitely in the refrigerator or freezer.

To make the pancakes: whisk together 1 cup of mix, 1 cup buttermilk (a combination of half plain yogurt and half milk will also work), and 1 egg. ** I have used 5 cups of freshly ground whole wheat instead of using the all-purpose flour and my kids ate them up. ***For those of you who know me well and my love of organic coconut oil - I also substitute 1 Cup coconut oil for the vegetable oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment